UNUN's, BALUN;'s and winding chokes

Started by VK5MCH, May 06, 2024, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK5MCH

I am starting to play with EFRW and EFHW antennas which as we all know require either a UNUN or a BALUN. I have been reading a lot and the designs are many and varied.

My first question is does it matter if the wire used is stranded or solid? I have seen some wound using lamp cord where some have said that's no good and others have commented that the wire type really has no effect, as long as the toroid material used is correct for the bands you wish to cover.

Any views would be welcome.

73's
Mick VK5MCH

VK5TM

Easy way to find out - as part of the experimenting, wind one of each type and see if it makes any difference in practice  ;D

VK5MCH

Quote from: VK5TM on May 07, 2024, 12:13 PMEasy way to find out - as part of the experimenting, wind one of each type and see if it makes any difference in practice  ;D

That's the problem. Some say it does, some say it doesn't.

I will do both.
Mick VK5MCH

VK5TM

Somewhere back when Adam was a nipper, I do recall seeing an article along the lines of the best wire to wind a balun with along with a graph or two of the results.

Just wish I could remember what the results actually were (and where I saw it  ::) ).

I've been having a dig through my list of old magazines and the 'net to see if I could find it but no luck unfortunately.